Another month, another recipe. Today we wanted to share a main dish that happens to be one of our guest’s favorites at Cal Reiet’s Table.
Have you tried our seasonal organic vegetable curry and ‘venere’ black rice? Here’s the recipe for 4 diners!
For the curry sauce:
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 red onion or 3 shallots, diced
2 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon hopped ginger
1 teaspoon of coriander seeds
1 tablespoon Seichuan pepper
5 stalks of fresh coriander, cut into large chunks
1 tablespoon of yellow curry paste
2 cups of coconut milk
Optional: 2 fresh or frozen kefir lime leaves
1. In a large pot, start by slowly heating the coconut oil. Add all ingredients except coconut milk and curry paste. Cook for 5 minutes on medium heat so that the ingredients soften and release their essential aromas.
2. Add the curry paste and mix it well with all the ingredients in the pot, continuing to cook on medium heat.
Cook for 5 more minutes while stirring to prevent it from burning or sticking.
3. Finally add the coconut milk. Let it boil slowly (from 5 to 10 minutes), to infuse all the aromas in the sauce.
6. Reduce until you get a sauce texture.
7. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Once our sauce has cooled, we will strain it through a fine mesh strainer and reserve the liquid for the final dish.
For the ‘venere’ rice:
2 handfuls of black rice (200 gr)
1 liter of vegetable broth
1. In a large pot, cook the rice in the broth, starting with the broth at near boiling temperature.
Boil on low heat for about 40 minutes or until the liquid has completely evaporated.
2. Reserve until the final step of the recipe.
8 peeled baby carrots
1 zucchini cut into slices
8 baby broccoli or broccoli cut into medium small trees
1 white turnip peeled and sliced
1 medium sweet potato peeled and cut into medium cubes
1. Fill a large pot with water and add a good handful of salt. Let it boil.
2. Cook the carrots in the boiling water for 2 minutes. Remove and reserve.
3. Cook the zucchini slices in the same water for 30 seconds. Remove and reserve.
4. Now cook the broccoli for 2 minutes. Remove and reserve.
5. Cook the turnip for 3 minutes. We remove and reserve.
6. Cook the sweet potato cubes, always in the same way as the other vegetables, in boiling salted water for 3 minutes. Remove and reserve.
Venere cooked rice
Cooked seasonal vegetables
Other optional toppings:
Fresh coriander leaves
Fresh radish slices
Roasted sesame seeds
Stir-fried tempeh or tofu
Fresh hot chilli slices
1. Separate the vegetables by type, to highlight the color of each one, in a deep and open dish.
2. On one side add the Venere rice. Around it, add the fresh coriander leaves, the toasted sesame seeds, the chilli slices, the fresh radish slices and the previously sautéed tofu.
3. Finally, serve the sauce on a side dish, so that each diner serves the desired amount.
This is one of the most requested dishes by our customers at Cal Reiet’s Table! A very easy recipe that you can make with the vegetables that you have at the moment at home! You can also use another type of rice if it comes in handy! The sauce is the most fundamental ingredient to provide all the flavor to this magnificent vegan dish.